Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Biwa: Late night dining

After a long day of driving along the Oregon Coast, we finally settled into our hotel for the evening. Portland is known for its foodie scene, and I had a difficult time choosing our dinner option for the night. Since the clock was ticking away, we opted to check out Biwa. We lucked out with a couple of front row seats at the bar providing a great view into the kitchen. The menu was quite expansive, and furthermore, since it was later into the evening, we could also order off the late night menu.

For regular readers of this blog, you probably will have noticed the lack of alcoholic drinks being profiled in my writing. I have an allergy to alcohol, which makes me get really hot and uncomfortable. Truthfully, it's quite annoying to explain this in social situations. I end being a cheap date for Aaron on most occasions, but sometimes a restaurant's non-alcoholic drinks will pique my interest. While in Portland, I often came across drinking vinegars for seltzer water. At Biwa, I went with the ume based on our server's recommendation. It's a pickling brine made from umeboshi plums. We munched on an amuse buche of spiced popcorn while we waited for our food to arrive.


We started with an order of gyoza since the wrapper was handmade, and we often forfeit our share to the kids at family gatherings. The wrapper was uniformly thin and crisply fried around the savory pork filling.
For our mains, we enjoyed the udon and ramen from the late night menu. Aaron has always been a fan of the more toothsome udon variety, especially when it is swimming in a rich spicy broth. For me, I've always had a soft spot for ramen, and no, not the ten cent Maruchan variety from your big box grocer!


 
 We wended the meal with miso butterscotch gelato from a local gelateria.





1 comment:

  1. Wow, that looks amazing. And I'm not sure I knew about the alcohol allergy. What a bummer. Have a great New Years!

    ReplyDelete