Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Trophy Cupcakes

On a sunny August day, I found myself near one of Seattle's three Trophy Cupcake locations. The shop was cute as can be and carried a lot of cupcake themed merchandise like cute notepads and various cupcake toppers.

Like many cupcake shops, a few staple flavors are available daily, some flavors are available on a rotating basis, and one flavor is featured for one monthly only. Anything that is available on a limited basis draws me in first. Being that both Aaron and I love blueberries, the blueberry pie was a no-brainer and the first flavor I chose. We also love lemonade, especially strawberry lemonade, so that was next. Since the cupcake box had room for 2 more, I opted for the for chocolate espresso bean. It just doesn't seem right to leave a bakery without something chocolatey, right?

I'm such a sucker for cute packaging, and specialty bakeries never seem to let me down in this department. Stripes, scalloped edges, and one of my favorite color combinations of brown and aqua put a big grin across my face before I even took a bite of its scrumptious contents!

Thankfully, these cupcakes and packaging were not just for show. They fully lived up to their presentation. They were moist, tender, beautifully decorated, and bold in flavor. Biting into the tender vanilla cupcake revealed a fresh blueberry filling. The cupcake was lined with a flaky pie crust. The frosting had just the right amount of sweetness. The strawberry lemonade was the perfect marriage where neither flavor dominated. The chocolate espresso bean was another match made in heaven. I really liked that the frosting on all three cupcakes were light, fluffy, and well balanced.



Later in the week, I found myself near another Trophy Cupcake location. Since it was just an hour before closing, they marked down the cupcakes to buy one get one free! I couldn't resist a deal, so I opted for another blueberry pie, peanut butter and jelly, salted caramel, and samoa. I must have been taking some crazy turns on the drive home because the box flew off the back seat and took a somersault onto the floor. I should've snapped a picture of my disaster just for laughs, but I was too ashamed of my crazy driving. The flavors were great and actually kept until the next day or two without getting dry, crusty, or hard. The only letdown among these four was the peanut butter and jelly. The homemade strawberry jam was too sweet, and there was too much frosting. I also didn't find the peanut butter flavor to be pronounced enough. I would not recommend this flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment