Sunday, June 17, 2012

My first brunch in Seattle

I arrived into Seatac yesterday and spent the day running around buying things for the apartment like dishes and bedding. Since I didn't have any groceries in the house yet, I wanted to treat myself to a nice brunch in the neighborhood before checking out the West Seattle Farmers Market. After surfing the internet for nearby brunch options, I decided on Fiddlehead Cafe. It had just opened this past spring, and I liked that it was a small, independently run operation. I knew I had made the right choice when I arrived to a long wait. Fortunately, my table was ready much sooner than expected. I placed my order at the counter before going to my table. Since it was a Sunday, I ordered the salmon potato cakes since 1) I'm in Seattle, 2) it's only available on weekends, which makes is even more special, and 3) because it's salmon season.

My patience paid off when my dish arrived: two salmon potato cakes were topped with two perfectly poached eggs swimming in a lemon cream sauce with some fresh spinach to cut the richness. There were large chunks of tender potato and moist salmon in every bite. Amazingly enough, the exterior of the cakes maintained a nice crispness under the egg and the sauce.

After brunch, I walked over a couple of blocks to pick up some gorgeous carrots, mixed salad greens, and heirloom tomatoes for salad during the week. I'm really looking forward to making this a weekly routine.


No comments:

Post a Comment