Friday, June 15, 2012

Garlic Scape Pesto

Last year, we received a bunch of garlic scapes in our CSA. They are the wild, curly part that shoots up from the garlic being grown underground. I'd never had them before, but our CSA newsletter recommended Dorie Greenspan's pesto. Being a fan of Dorie's and seeing the Amateur Gourmet's enthusiasm for this recipe, I decided to go for it. I am so glad I did! As much as I love basil and in spite of the cult following for ramp pesto, garlic scape pesto is where it's at! It's a gorgeous verdant green that remains vibrant! It doesn't darken or brown with time. The scapes have a wonderfully garlic aroma to them, and the almonds are a nice alternative to pine nuts. I used raw, whole almonds that I toasted in place of the slivered almonds. I think this adds a nice crunchy texture. I have used this pesto for pasta, a dip, and a condiment for portobello burgers, eggs, or a baguette. I have smeared it on bread with fresh mozzarella and a local tomato, and my tastebuds do the happy dance. Keep an eye out for it before it disappears from the market.


No comments:

Post a Comment