Saturday, May 26, 2012

Rhubarb-raspberry buckle

I'm really lucky to have a sweet and generous friend in Sheri. When we met up for dinner recently, she generously gifted me a LARGE bag of cleaned rhubarb from her parents' yard. Her husband was kind enough to remove all the leaves and clean them for me too. Since rhubarb pairs so well with berries that aren't readily available until later in the summer, I prepared the rhubarb to be frozen. Of course, during this process, I discovered from frozen rhubarb from last summer that I neglected to use.

I had very little homemade vanilla ice cream in the freezer, so I wanted a rhubarb dessert that would stand well on its own. Lottie and Doof came through again with a rhubarb buckle. Instead of 4 cups of rhubarbs, I  only used 2.5 cups, and added 1.5 cup of raspberries. The two fruits baked wonderfully together under a layer of tender yellow cake, and a scrumptious crumb topping spiked with ground ginger. Even Aaron went for seconds of this dessert in one sitting!


No comments:

Post a Comment