Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Ramps Pesto v2.0

The ramp frenzy has come early this year due to some unusually warm weather in March. This year I bought a couple of bunches from Whole Foods. I decided to make pickled ramps for my first canning effort of the year and my first true pickle. I will post more on those pickled ramps when I open them later this year.

After pickling the bottom of the ramps, I was left with the leaves. I decided to revisit ramp pesto, but I wasn't all that thrilled with last year's version. I found this alternate recipe for ramp pesto and followed their suggestion to blanch the leaves this time to tone down the pungency. I also had pine nuts now that they finally went down in price! If you've been following me for awhile now, you can probably guess that I also like to finish my pesto with some freshly squeezed lemon juice.

With this special pesto in hand, I decided to splurge and try some handmade pasta from a nearby artisan, Pasta Puttana. The ingredients are organic and sourced from local farmers. To ensure that the premium pasta and this special pesto didn't compete with each other, I kept it simple and opted for the egg linguine. I was amazed by the wow factor of this simple dinner. Aaron completely inhaled his portion as I quickly snapped a few pictures before devouring it myself. I was too impatient to take more than four pictures! If you can get your hands on some ramps, make this pesto. You won't regret it.



No comments:

Post a Comment