Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Lentil Tacos

There's a restaurant near my mother-in-law's in Buffalo that the locals love for their lentil-berry sandwich. It's essentially a large burrito filled with a mixture of lentils and wheatberries, lettuce, tomatoes, provolone, and hot sauce. While it was good, I never craved it like the others. I have now found something even better that we can make at home.

In an effort to eat less meat and incorporate more vegetarian meals into our rotation, I bookmarked these lentil tacos a couple of months ago. I'm not sure why it took me so long to make these. For whatever reason, I have this ridiculous notion that lentils are time consuming to make. In reality, it's no different than making brown rice. I started with the taco seasoning from a Couple Cooks, but used a different preparation to cut down on time and effort. 

I was really surprised by how much I loved these lentil tacos, especially since I worried that the lentils would become too mushy and taste like baby food. I didn't miss the meat in these tacos at all. I really think you should try these for dinner - vegetarian or not.



Lentil Tacos

1 c chopped onion (red, yellow or white)
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 tbsp taco seasoning or 1 packet store bought taco seasoning
1 c dried green or brown lentils, rinsed and drained
1 tbsp tomato paste
2 1/4 c vegetable broth (chicken broth would be okay if you are not vegetarian)
flour tortillas
your favorite taco toppings (lettuce, tomates, cheese, salsa, Greek yogurt, avocado slices)

1) In a large non-stick skillet, preheat 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil over medium heat. 
2) Add chopped onion and garlic until softened, about 8 minutes.
3) Add lentils and seasonings. Stir to coat the lentils with the seasoning.
4) Add the broth and tomato paste. Bring to a boil, and then lower to medium low. Cover and simmer 25-30 minutes. 
5) Uncover and cook for for 6-8 additional minutes until mixture has thickened.
6) Warm up the flour tortillas on a clean skillet for 30 seconds each side or microwave each tortilla wrapped in a paper towel for 20 seconds. 
7) Fill the tortilla with the the lentils and your desired toppings.


1 comment:

  1. Very cool. Mexican is like a staple around our place and I'm always looking to add more variety to those meals, so I'll try these out! thanks

    ReplyDelete