Saturday, March 3, 2012

Floriole

Whenever I made it over to Green City Market, I always treated myself to a baked good from Floriole. I loved that they put so much care into their delicious products. After much deserved success, they opened a brick and mortar bakery. Today, I finally found the opportunity to visit when planning a lunch date with Susan. I clearly waited too long, because I have been missing out. I have fallen in love with this bakery. If I were to design my dream bakery - this would be very close to it. 

The space is quite large with lots of windows and natural light. When you first enter, there is a large coffee station before you see their gorgeous glass pastry case. I felt like a kid in a candy store. I saw all sorts of amazing goods in the case: tarts - fruit or chocolate, croissants - plain or chocolate filled, fruit galettes, fruit studded tea cakes, blueberry scones, fresh yogurt, brown bread clearly baked in cans, canelés, oh my! I was so delighted when I didn't see a single cupcake or cake pop! I loved that there were so many unique pastry items that you can't and don't normally see. Best of all? It's all made from scratch and doesn't look mass produced, which makes it even more special. 

There were a couple of other special touches that I really loved. In the back of the bakery is a window into the kitchen itself! On the second floor is additional seating that can be used for private parties. The bakery closes by 5:30PM on weeknights, but they host monthly dinners where you can reserve a table.

So, onto the important question: what did I get?! Since it was after 12:30PM, we ordered from the lunch menu. The B.A.D. caught my attention...bacon, arugula, and date almond spread along with goat cheese sandwiched in between yeasted corn bread. This sandwich exceeded my expectations. The bacon was smoky, crisp and best of all, thick cut. The contrast between the date almond spread and the goat cheese was magical. I loved how the yeasted corn bread was light in texture, and best yet, they grilled it. My iPhone picture does not do this sandwich justice.
Since this was a girls' lunch date and a bakery, I had to bring home something to share with my sweet, A, at home. Once I saw the canelés on top of the pastry case, it was a no brainer: crisp and slightly sweet on the outside with a vanilla custard like center. 

Another thing to love about Floriole is their pastry of the month. They posted some teaser pictures on twitter, which ended up being Kouign Amann. It's a flakey, yeasted dough with layers of salted butter and sugar in between. On the outside is caramelized sugary goodness. It sounds like a humble pastry, but it's so much more than that. I can't wait to return this month with A so we can get another Kouign Amann before the month's end!

No comments:

Post a Comment