Thursday, February 9, 2012

Sweet and Salty Brownie

It's no secret how much I loved my Baked cookbooks given the several successes I have had with their recipes. For the Superbowl, A suggested something good to go with ice cream. As a chocoholic, brownies seemed like an obvious choice. Baked's Sweet and Salty brownie cinched the deal for me - combining chocolate and salty caramel!

I specifically chose these two pieces to photograph: an interior piece and a edge piece.As you can see from the edge piece, the caramel oozed out a bit while baking. This created a wonderfully chewy edge with a pronounced caramel taste. Meanwhile, on the interior piece, the caramel layer gets fully integrated with the brownie batter while baking. These pieces are buttery, moist and in between being cakey and fudgey. Personally, I'm still a big fan of brownie edge pieces. I even have this specially designed brownie pan that yields at least two edges per piece! I was tempted to make these brownies in my Baker's Edge pan, but I opted not to out of fear that the caramel would burn when oozing out. Next time, I will have to get creative with lining the sides of the Baker's Edge pan with parchment paper.

2 comments:

  1. There's that sweet and salted chocolate combo again. LOVE it. These look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I have a piece? or two? Ive never had much success with homemade brownies. These look perfect.

    ReplyDelete