Thursday, February 16, 2012

Roasted squash, pear, and ginger soup

I'm embarrassed to admit that I still had a squash leftover from our fall weekly produce share. It's amazing how long squash can last after being harvested. I'd already made two different kinds of squash risotto and a squash tart twice. I was hoping to do something different with this last remaining squash. I think someone tweeted about Deborah Madison's recipe for this roasted squash, pear, and ginger soup, which led me to bookmark it for weeks before finally making it. I trusted the recommendation especially since I love the combination of pears and ginger.

Whenever I cut into a squash or pumpkin, I reserve the seeds with the intent to dry and roast them. More often than not, I lose the ambition and energy to do it, and so I just end up trashing the seeds. With this recipe, I didn't have to give it a second thought since the seeds and strings were used to flavor the broth. Having read the recipe reviews, I also added the skins from the pears to the broth. I really enjoy this soup, especially as leftovers. In my photo below, I added some Greek yogurt and fresh sage, but it was completely unnecessary. I preferred for the soup to stand alone. Without a doubt, the dominant flavor was squash, but there was a subtle fruitiness from the pears and a warm hint of spice from the fresh ginger. Given its sweet taste and smooth texture, this would likely be a hit for little ones.

Pin It

1 comment: