Sunday, February 26, 2012

Momofuku bo ssam

Consistent with getting together late for other holidays, my family gathered a month after the Lunar new year. I offered to host because I thought it was the perfect opportunity to make Momofuku's Bo Ssam. Bo ssam translates to mean little packages of pork, rice, and kimchi wrapped in fresh greens. It was recently written up in the NY Times, and I saw some posts about preparing it at home on LTHForum. The simplicity of the recipe that promised to yield mind blowing results really excited me.

With the recent opening of the Publican's Quality Meats, I decided to splurge on getting a sustainable pork butt sourced from them. Little did I know, they only had Berkshire pork in stock the day before our gathering, which made it a very luxurious splurge. Berkshire pigs are a pedigreed breed prized for it's juiciness, flavor, and tenderness. I justified it by thinking that it's still much more cost efficient than flying to NYC and dining at Momofuku.

To gather the Asian ingredients, we drove up to Joongboo Market. My LTH friends recommended offering sesame leaves, aka gaenip or perilla, in addition to the bibb lettuce. As part of the mint family, they taste similar to fennel and mint.

Words cannot describe the deliciousness of this meal. I wish I could reach out and give you a bite through your monitor. All of the components just marry so well together. I love the vinegar from the sauces in contrast to the richness of the pork. There's very little hands on prep time. The most time consuming part was chopping the scallions and ginger for one of the sauces, and even that was minimal considering the high yielding taste that comes from it. If you're looking for a crowd pleaser, you need to try this as soon as possible!


A couple of quick notes: Based on the feedback from some LTHer's, we skipped the salt when we added the brown sugar. Also, if you want to know exactly when your pork is ready, you'll want the internal temperature to be 190 degrees. Hope this helps.


Pin It

1 comment:

  1. looks so delicious! If it's really as simple as you say, I think this is the perfect weekend project =)

    ReplyDelete