Saturday, December 31, 2011

Panettone bread pudding

During one of my recent trips to Costco, they were giving out samples of Bauli's panettone. I couldn't believe how deliciously fluffy it was while still being heavily studded with raisins and candied orange peel. The package was a whopping 2.2 lb for less than $8! I added one to my cart without hesitation even though it was quite monstrous in size!

When my family gathered for lunch on New Year's Eve, I decided to use half of the panettone for bread pudding. Bread pudding is one of those homey desserts that often yields praise for something that is so simple to make. I opted to use Giada De Laurentis' recipe, which did not disappoint. I used six extra large eggs and 2% milk in lieu of the 8 large eggs and whole milk. It didn't compromise the end result in the least. If you can get your hands on a panettone or have some leftover from Christmas, I urge you to make this bread pudding. The custard is rich, but not overly indulgent or sweet. The cinnamon syrup makes the bread pudding extra special. Even my mom, who doesn't have much of a sweet tooth, raved about this and went for seconds!

Happy 2012!


No comments:

Post a Comment