Thursday, December 15, 2011

Ham and kohlrabi bake

We received kohlrabi twice in recent weeks. With the first bunch, I made a modified version of this curry red lentil salad with couscous. While it was good, it was not very  photogenic, and I found that specific bunch of kohlrabi to be very woody. This left me less than enthused when I saw that we had a second bunch of kohlrabi coming our way. I knew I had liked it in the salad with fennel and blueberries I had made over the summer, but fresh local blueberries are hard to come by in December! I saw numerous recipes for a kohlrabi slaw, but that just doesn't whet our appetite. I then stumbled upon Elise's ham and kohlrabi bake. We love ham in our household, and her recipe yielded a lot of love from readers. I set forth making it on weeknight for dinner.

Gathering the list of ingredients was a breeze. However, I always struggle with deciding which dish to use for casseroles. I initially grabbed a small round, 2-quart Pryex. I then realized that it might be difficult to portion out, so I swapped it out for a rectangular 3-quart Pyrex instead. I'm glad I made the swtich because it took me almost twice as long for the casserole to set!

The longer than expected baking time was well worth it. I wasn't paying close attention to the kohlrabi as it cooked over the stovetop, which yielded in the sweet caramelization of the kohlrabi. The diced vegetable became tender and sweet. The "sauce" became custard like, similar to a frittata. We both loved this dish, which would be equally adaptable for any meal of the day! 

Kohlrabi Ham Bake Recipe
adapted from Simply Recipes

3 Tbsp butter
kohlrabi, peeled and diced 
8 ounces thick ham, diced 
2 Tbsp fresh chopped parsley
2 egg yolks 
3/4 cup heavy cream
1 1/2 Tbsp all-purpose flour 
Pinch of ground nutmeg 
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

1 Preheat oven to 350°F. In a large skillet, melt the butter on medium heat. Add the diced kohlrabi and gently cook until caramelized for 8 to 10 minutes.
2 Meanwhile, beat the egg yolk, and whisk in the heavy cream, flour, mace, salt and pepper until well combined.
3 Place the cooked kohlrabi and diced ham into a 3 qt casserole dish. Pour the sauce ingredients over the kohlrabi and ham. Top with the chopped parsley.
4 Bake for 30-35 minutes or until lightly browned on top. Serve immediately.
Serves 4.

1 comment:

  1. Yum! I haven't had kohlrabi in years. This is very temping.

    ReplyDelete