Thursday, December 8, 2011

Carnival squash and carmelized onion galette

As you may have noticed, we've received a lot of squash and onions in our weekly produce. Thankfully, they have a long shelf life because I kept pushing them off my weekly menu plan. With the holiday travels rapidly approaching, I cannot put them off much longer.

Given the choice between caramelized onions and raw onions, I will always choose caramelized for its sweet and flavorful qualities. I knew that Smitten Kitchen's butternut squash and caramelized onion galette was high on my list to make. 

Her recipe called for a one pound squash, so I used the pretty carnival squash we received several weeks ago. I sliced the squash into large slices, roasted them for 20 minutes before removing their skin and dicing them into smaller chunks. I then put them back in the oven for an additional 15 minutes to cook through.The carnival squash smelled amazing as I was skinning and dicing them. Even Bailey was patiently waiting by my side hoping that a piece would fall from the cutting board.

We love the crust, having made the zucchini ricotta version this past summer and the cabbage version this past fall. It's wonderfully flaky and buttery. The fontina was a great cheese to pair in this recipe - it was milky and melted to perfection. I've grown especially fond of fresh sage this fall having used it in our Zuni chicken and Thanksgiving herb dressing. It's such a versatile and fragrant herb. 

Serve with a small green salad on the side to make it a complete meal. Even my squash hating husband loved this dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment