We love pizza in every shape and form: thin crust, pan pizza, pizza bread, pizza bagels, pizza sub, calzones, stromboli, and now a quinoa casserole. I came across an interesting recipe for pizza casserole on Veggie by Season. It was a great use for some of the peppers and onions from our weekly produce share. It came together very quickly with little prep work. I would highly recommend making this as a healthier alternative to pizza or lasagna.
Pizza Quinoa Casserole
adapted from Veggie by Season
1 1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed
3 cup vegetable stock
Vegetables of your choice: we used 1.5 green peppers, 1/2 onion, (mushrooms, spinach would be good)
3 garlic cloves
2 to 2 1/2 cup prepared marinara
1 cup cottage cheese, drained
1/2 cup quartered pepperoni (Consider: Italian Sausage or Vegetarian meat substitutes)
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
salt and pepper
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
1/8 cup freshly grated pecorino or parmesan
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Bring the stock and quinoa to a boil and simmer until the liquid is absorbed.
3. While the quinoa is cooking, saute vegetables and garlic in olive oil for about 10 minutes.
4. Mix the cooked quinoa, vegetables, pepperoni, spices and seasoning in a casserole dish. Top with cheese.
5. Top with cheese. Bake for 35 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes before serving.