Friday, November 25, 2011

Caramel Apple Cake

Thanksgiving fell on my mom's birthday this year. November is also the birthday month for my dad and my niece. My niece is sadly allergic to nuts, so I find myself with limited ideas when it comes to picking out cake flavors. I had recently made mini pumpkin cupcakes for work, and with pumpkin pie already on my list to make, I didn't want to make a pumpkin cake. I felt badly that my brother in law is allergic to apples, but I had hoped that my pumpkin pie would provide an alternative for him.

I turned to my go-to source for celebration cake inspiration: Baked Explorations. With all the apples we've been receiving in our weekly produce share, it was easy to make my own applesauce for the cake. The cake was wonderfully moist and aromatic with all the wonderful spices like cinnamon, allspice and cloves. We all know how much I lust over caramel, and this caramel based frosting is the best I've had. I am not one to favor frosting over cake, but in this case, I could eat this frosting by the spoonful. Both the cake and frosting stand alone very well, but when put together, it's a match made in heaven.


No comments:

Post a Comment