Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Squash and kale risotto

When I attended the annual cookie exchange with LTHers several years ago, the topic of homemade chicken stock had come up. It never dawned on me to make my own chicken stock. Living on my own at the time, I never had leftover chicken bones or carcasses. As I listened to the conversation I never would have thought that I would bother with such a task when store bought was so assessible.

Fast forward to the last couple of years, I realized that making my own chicken stock was incredibly easy, affordable and natural. I like knowing all the ingredients used instead of hard to pronounce scary additives that make it shelf stable for years. I find that the easiest and quickest source for the chicken carcass is none other than Costco's rotisserie chicken. After making a few meals, sneaking a few snacks for Bailey, the leftover carcass is perfect for making stock. I put it in the crockpot with chopped and unpeeled carrot, onion and celery. For seasoning, I add a bay leaf, whole peppercorns, and thyme or leeks, depending on what I have.

Homemade chicken stock is important for amazing risotto. With the delicata squash and kale from our two more recent produce shares, I went with the Green Grocer's suggestion to make the Moosewood recipe for squash and kale risotto.

For some strange reason that I cannot understand, A is not a fan of squash or sweet potato since he likes pumpkin. Despite this, he really liked this risotto, and so did I.  I am looking forward to enjoying the leftovers for lunch.


No comments:

Post a Comment