Thursday, October 27, 2011

Moroccan Spiced Spaghetti Squash

A couple of weeks ago, we received a small spaghetti squash in our produce share. As I had mentioned before, A is not a big fan of squash. I was in search of an interesting recipe for preparing it, which is actually my first time. I have found that epicurious has been a good source for using seasonal produce, which is where I came across their recipe for preparing the squash with Moroccan Spices. I then googled it to see if any bloggers had posted about this recipe. Why was I not surprised that Smitten Kitchen had made it?! Knowing that it had Deb's seal of approval, I set forth to put it on the weeknight dinner menu. In order to beef it up to be a meal, I put the warm, spiced squash on a bed of spinach, which helped wilt the greens a bit. I then topped it off with chickpeas (drained and rinsed) for some added protein. Chopped cilantro was the perfect garnish.

I love cumin, which lends a smokey flavor. Coriander created a flavor profile reminiscent of curry. Fresh chopped garlic warmed by melted butter was key to tie together the spices. I really like the texture that the chickpeas added, and I think this really made it a cohesive dish for dinner. 

Moroccan Spiced Spaghetti Squash
Adapted from Epicurious
 Serves 2

1 (1.25 lb ) spaghetti squash
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces
2 garlic cloves, minced
3/4 teaspoon ground cumin

3/8 teaspoon ground coriander
1/8 teaspoon cayenne
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro

1 cup chickpeas, drained and rinsed
baby spinach

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Halve the squash, remove the guts and seeds. Drizzle extra virgin olive oil over the cut halves, and roast for 45 minutes or until tender.

2. Scrape the squash with a fork to separate the strands. Add to a bowl.
3. Microwave the butter for 1 minute at 50% power. Add garlic and spices. 
4. Drizzle melted butter spice mixture over squash and mix well.
5. Create a bed of spinach on dinner plate; top with spaghetti squash, chickpeas, and chopped cilantro.

No comments:

Post a Comment