Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Chicken Stew

It was a weird day weather wise in Chicago on Sunday. The morning started out gloomy before making way for the sun's brief appearance and finally settled into being a cold and rainy day. 
Barefoot Contessa's chicken stew is rich and comforting for a breezy, fall day. This is the second time I've made it, and after I put it in the oven, it dawned on me that I was short on flour and not able to make the biscuits! I was devastated that I had let this oversight occur. Luckily, I had a nice sourdough round in the freezer from my recent bread making class. However, the biscuits are quite lovely, so here is a picture from the first time I made this dish last winter. If you have the ingredients on hand, it is worthwhile. If you are missing some ingredients or short on time, a nice rustic and crusty bread will make a delicious substitute.

Another time saving tip would be to use Costco's rotisserie chicken. For a more "healthful" adjustment, I reduced the amount of butter from 1.5 sticks to 1, and we didn't notice a difference. I would be interested in reducing it even more next time and trying to use only 6 tablespoons of butter and less flour. 

No comments:

Post a Comment