Saturday, October 15, 2011

Ann Arbor

I started the new job last week, and on my second day I was already on my way to Ann Arbor for training. I love A2, so I certainly wasn't going to complain. My flight was delayed because the pilot's chair needed to be replaced! I finally got around to having dinner around 9PM EST.

I remembered that Top Chef contestant Eve Aronoff had a restaurant in Ann Arbor. I was sad to learn that her original restaurant, Eve, had closed, but she had a opened a newer restaurant, Frita Batidos. I had a bad case of first week jitters earlier in the afternoon, so I was a little worried about being able to stomach a burger and a shake. Thankfully enough time had passed for me to indulge. Everything on the menu sounded so good. I wish A was with me so I could have had more ordering power and try more menu items. 

I went with the chorizo frita and a fresh lime batido. A frita is a Cuban styled burger. I was very pleasantly surprised to find that the chorizo frita was a lot lighter than the heavy, greasy burger that I had expected. The chorizo patty was topped with hand cut fries and sandwiched between a light and fluffy brioche bun. It totally hit the spot after the trip. I really enjoyed the fresh lime batido. I almost ordered the coconut creme, but in the end, I figured that lime might be a little harder to come by. It did not disappoint. Key lime and cream would be an accurate description - like a lime flavored creamsicle. The lime batido was cool, refreshing, and light.
Before heading out to the airport to return home, I stopped by Zingerman's Bakehouse. I didn't get a chance to hit the deli on this visit, so I figured stopping by the Bakehouse would be the next best thing. Zingerman's owns several buildings in an industrial park, where they use that space to produce their coffee, cheese, gelato, and baked goods for their deli, roadhouse, and wholesale business. Given that it was very late in their day, my selection was limited. I finally decided on two cosmic cakes in our favorite flavors: peanut butter for me and mint for A. Cosmic cakes are made by sandwiching flavored buttercream in between two pieces of chocolate cake and covered in chocolate. The buttercream was light, and the cake was airy and moist. The chocolate layer was just right. Before tasting a bite, I would've described it as a chocolate covered whoppie pie, but it's most similar to a Hostess ding dong, but made with much better ingredients and care. Unfortunately, they did get a little smashed in my carry-on bag.

No comments:

Post a Comment