Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Zucchini & ricotta galette

Earlier this year, I asked my dad to plant some zucchini in his yard. I always envied people who had too much zucchini to consume it all. It was a great opportunity for him to enlist the help of my four year old niece: my dad dug  the hole, and she tossed in the seeds. During summer break, she would help water the zucchini plant during her weekly visits. She's pretty proud of the zucchini she "planted and grew."

With the upcoming annual LTHForum picnic, I had initially wanted to make a s'more pie. However, given that several other people signed up to bring a dessert, I opted to bring something savory instead. With my large supply of zucchini, I decided to make Smitten Kitchen's zucchini and ricotta galette. Wow, this exceeded my expectations. I'm not a huge fan of things that are overly cheesey, but when there are three cheeses all sourced from JP Graziano's, yes please! The aroma of garlic infused olive oil created a mouth watering scent as it baked. I ate it within 10 minutes out of the oven, and the cheese was wonderfully melty, mild, chewy and milky. The crust was so buttery and flaky - like puff pastry! Fresh basil from the balcony was the perfect finish. Run, don't walk to make this with your remaining summer zucchini.



No comments:

Post a Comment