Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Peach butter and English muffins

As you may have noticed, we received double peaches from our CSA for three weeks in a row now. With the abundance of peaches, I was elated to see that Smitten Kitchen posted a recipe for peach butter. Even though I just attended a canning class, I had yet to get any supplies. I decided to make a quarter batch of the original recipe, which was the perfect yield for us to finish within a reasonable amount of time.
Fruit butter is made by cooking down fresh fruit that has been slightly sweetened with sugar. It becomes thick from being cooked down as opposed to the addition of pectin used in jam. The peach butter yielded a very vibrant peachy flavor. If you're looking for a way to prolong the summer's peaches, make this peach butter now.

UPDATE 9/20/11: I succeeded in my first canning effort! I can't wait to share these little jars of goodies with a few lucky ones this holiday season! When I made the full batch, it took me about 2 hours on medium low.

I have been mixing a spoonful with my plain Greek yogurt and Kashi cereal during the week. Over the weekend, I had been craving English muffins for the peach butter. I set forth making the recipe from Peter Reinhart. I haven't made these in a year now, but they are so easy, I don't know what took me so long in between.

I only have active dry yeast, so I used 1 1/2 teaspoons and proofed it with the water and sugar. I also used powdered buttermilk, so I used the full cup of water plus another tablespoon. When it came time for the second rise, I created 8 dough balls, about 2.5 oz each. I found these to be the perfect size for one serving.




No comments:

Post a Comment