Thursday, September 1, 2011

Canned tomatoes workshop

Before heading out to California, I had a canned tomato workshop hosted by Slow Food Chicago. I was thrilled when I saw the Local Beet post the event on Facebook. I've been wanting to learn how to can for ages now. I've always been a little intimidated by the whole process, but my fears have been put to rest after this class. The workshop was taught by Sam Radov, Pastry Chef at the Publican, which also happens to be one of our top 10 favorite Chicago restaurants.

When registering for the workshop, I added 10 pounds of sustainable tomatoes to be canned during the class. They came in the form of plum tomatoes, but one of the other participants brought her own tomatoes, which were green. These tomatoes added a beautiful pop of color amongst the sea of red. Here are some pictures from the class. I cannot wait to open up my cans of tomatoes in the dead of winter when there's not a decent tomato in sight.

 ta da! The end result.....

No comments:

Post a Comment