Friday, September 30, 2011

A birthday cake

Three years ago, my good friend and I co-hosted a baby shower for our best friend. I baked a recipe from  Smitten Kitchen's project wedding cake. The mom-to-be doesn't have much of a sweet tooth so I thought the yellow cake filled with mango curd and finished with Swiss buttercream was the way to go. I was right. She loved it. 

Fast forward to Labor Day 2011. That "baby" is now a sweet and adorable three year old girl! They have since moved to NY, but they came back for an early birthday visit. I decided to make that cake once again, but this time, I used a different yellow cake recipe. I have been on a never ending quest to find THE yellow cake recipe to end all searches. Being a fan of Annie's Eats, I decided to try out her favorite yellow cake. I was pleased that it was not overly soft and delicate. It had a nice, tight crumb, which made it easy for decorating. I followed the recipe to the letter, and I found the cake to be lovely. It wasn't overly moist, but it wasn't dry either. I would definitely consider making it again.....that is until I saw that Baked had shared their  recipe for Everyone's Favorite Birthday Cake on Martha Stewart this week! Given my previous successful experiences with their cake recipes, this is my next yellow cake recipe to try!



No comments:

Post a Comment