Saturday, August 20, 2011

Zucchini olive oil loaf with lemon crunch glaze

With the abundance of zucchini at this time of year, I like having them on hand for both savory and sweet purposes. After making the vegetable tian and the zucchini chips, a sweet zucchini recipe was in order. When Lottie and Doof blogged about Gina DePalma's zucchini olive oil cake with lemon crunch glaze, I knew I had found it. I loved the idea of using a lemon glaze for zucchini cake. I've seen chocolate or cream cheese, but I love lemons! You'll always find them in my refrigerator. It's like butter, if I am running low on butter or lemons, I somehow feel incomplete.

The shredded zucchini and olive oil produced a very light and moist crumb. The lemon glaze is applied while the cake is still warm. It pools up in some puddles where the rise was a little uneven, but that's okay! After resting, the glaze develops a crunchiness on the pillowy cake and gives a bright punch that I loved. I used white whole wheat flour, and this is one of those recipes where the healthy substitution goes unnoticed because of the moistness and plentiful flavors.

I halved the recipe and filled three mini loaf pans. I received them at my bridal shower from my aunt. I love these pans! They release perfectly, bake evenly, and are great for sharing with other households and portion control.

No comments:

Post a Comment