Sunday, August 7, 2011

Zucchini "chips"

Looking for a side to accompany portobello burgers, I remembered I still had a couple of zucchinis leftover from the vegetable tian. I decided to make zucchini "chips." As much as I bake, I have a major weakness for french fries and potato chips. I had hoped that zucchini "chips" might be a healthier alternative. The result was a nice change of pace for preparing zucchini. The breaded coating was well seasoned and light but provided a nice crisp coating to the baked zucchini. I made a basil yogurt sauce for dipping, which was creamy and cool. The leftover sauce will be great with raw veggies, crackers or pitas.

Baked Zucchini "Chips"
Inspired by Cooking Light
 

2 zucchini, sliced 1/4" wide

Breaded coating:
1 c panko bread crumbs
1/4 c grated pecorino

1 garlic clove, minced or pressed
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp thyme
salt and pepper
 

1. Preheat oven to 475 degrees. Spray a baking sheet with olive oil.
2. Combine the ingredients for the breaded coating in a bowl.
3. Pour 1/3 cup milk in a bowl, submerge the zucchini in the milk.
4. Dredge the zucchini slice in the breaded coating.
5. Place coated zucchini slice on the baking sheet. Repeat until zucchini slices or breaded coating run out. 
6. Spray the zucchini with olive oil spray. Bake for 30 minutes.
 

Basil Yogurt Sauce  
adapted from Melissa D'arabian

1/2 c Greek Yogurt
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp mayonnaise
3 tbsp fresh basil, chopped
1 scallion, chopped

1 garlic clove, minced
salt and pepper

Process ingredients in a mini food processor until fully blended.











2 comments:

  1. I love the chip idea! Wonder if the toddler will fall for it =) We've got more zucchini than I know what to do with!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting, I've done something similar with bread crumbs by I like the idea of panko and garlic. Love me some garlic!

    ReplyDelete