Friday, August 26, 2011

Quinoa Burrito Bowl

I try to pack a lunch for A and myself 3-4 times a week since going out for lunch everyday can be a drain on your wallet and an enemy to your waistline. There are some healthier options popping up in the Loop. One of them is Protein Bar. I liked that it is an independently owned business that strives to provide nutritious and flavorful food. I've tried their original protein bar-rito and chili bowl, but they just left a little something to be desired. They both needed a good dose of hot sauce to them. I don't think healthy food needs a lot of condiments.

I decided to make my own burrito bowl inspired by Chipotle and Protein Bar using quinoa, roasted veggies, black beans, avocados, tomatoes, cheese and salsa. It was so easy to assemble and economical. It's a very flexible combination that you can play around with based on what you like.

For the black beans, I used this recipe for Elly's black beans that I came across this past winter. This is the recipe for black beans that has been missing all of my life and perhaps your life too! It's simple to make using ingredients likely to be in your house right now, and it is so flavorful that you will wish you doubled the recipe. We have used them for veggie burritos, burrito bowls, rice, eggs, or just as a dip for tortilla chips.




No comments:

Post a Comment