Monday, August 8, 2011

Phoebe's Cupcakes

Cupcakes have been all the rage for the last few years. They are adorable to look at and easier to portion amongst a group, but for taste and balance, I much prefer a multiple layer cake. I like getting a little bit of cake and frosting or filling with each bite. With a cupcake, there's too much cake on the bottom and too much frosting on top. Rather than baking a whole cake to satisfy my fleeting cake craving, it's pretty easy to find a cupcake bakery these days.  

Earlier this year, there was a $5 Groupon to spend $10 at Phoebe's Cupcakes. I am fully guilty of taking advantage of a Groupon deal here and there. It gives me an excuse to try something on my list sooner rather than later, and at a discounted price. Who doesn't like to save a few dollars? Leave it to me to wait until the day it expires to get over there! Lucky for me, there wasn't a huge line or low inventory.

After browsing through their online menu of regular flavors and weekly flavors, I had hoped to get 2 breakfast cupcakes, a strawberry lemonade, and a salted caramel. They didn't have a strawberry lemonade for me to purchase, so I picked up a raspberry latte instead. The breakfast cupcake is a buttermilk cake soaked with maple syrup, maple butter frosting and topped with crispy bacon and a final drizzle of more maple syrup. The buttermilk cake reminded me of a light pound cake texture -  tight crumb, buttery, and light without being too crumbly. The frosting was also very light, which I liked. Even though the maple syrup was incorporated into the cupcake three different times, it was never overwhelming. You could tell that it was applied with a judicious hand. I also liked that Phoebe's Cupcakes are a manageable size and not overly sweet. I would recommend them if you like a light frosting and a delicate cupcake base.



1 comment:

  1. The gals that coordinated Kitty's bacherlorette brought Phoebe's cupcakes and they were excellent. They had cute bachelorette-appropriate phrases on them!

    ReplyDelete