Friday, August 5, 2011

Ham Loretta

I still remember when my friend, Susan, took me to Sarkis back in college. It was the end of the school year, and maybe even the end of senior year more specifically. There were four of us on that sunny afternoon. We all ordered the ham loretta (one veg loretta), hash browns and a pop for $5 flat. The ham loretta was so simple, yet so good. I craved it when I would be in the area. I took A once, and he was pretty disgusted by the unbused dirty plates that were piled up around us at all the tables and the counter. However, the ham loretta was good enough for me to overlook the uncleanliness.

Last week, I began to crave a ham loretta again as I learned that my SIL's boyfriend used to work at Sarkis back in the day. She told me they used Gonnella rolls and Lawry's seasoning salt. When we went grocery shopping this week, I set out to pick up the ingredients.

To assemble a ham loretta, split open a Gonnella roll and place the roll cut side down in your griddle or cast iron skillet. Toast it to your liking and flip over to toast the outside of the roll and top half of the cut side with cheese. I used mozzarella since that's what we had on hand. Sarkis uses "White Cheese," so intrepret that as you please. Let the cheese melt on the bread while you are toasting the outside.

Meanwhile, dice some white or red onions, green peppers and tomatoes. Once the cheese has melted, spread mayonnaise on the side opposite of the melted cheese. Sprinkle with Lawry's seasoning salt, top with your diced veggies, and deli ham. It seems like a very simple cast of ingredients, but they marry together so well. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment