Sunday, July 10, 2011

Cake season

Come summertime each year, it seems a little like the holidays: Mother's Day, Father's Day, Liam's birthday, Bella's birthday, A's birthday, and my two SIL's birthdays. Instead of cookies during the holiday season, the summer becomes my season of cakes. My preference is to make more rustic, homemade looking cakes, like the one I made for A's birthday. However, when my niece is turning 7, and nephew is turning 6, I end up making cakes decorated with their favorite character at the moment. Last year, it was Chococat and black Spiderman. This year, it was a carrot cake decorated with the pink cat from Littlest Pet Shop and chocolate chip cookie cake with Raphael from TMNT. I made a whipped cream cheese frosting for the carrot cake and a Swiss meringue buttercream for the cookie cake. I wasn't really thrilled with the way the cat came out, but I did the best I could free handed. I felt like it looked like a cupie doll. :(

Special thanks to my dear friend, Susan, for coming over this morning to help me decorate.

3 comments:

  1. So impressed, Christina. Do you or Susan do fire engines? =) And ship?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did I tell you how my new nephew is named Liam? Great name and cute cake!

    ReplyDelete