Saturday, June 11, 2011

Edzo's

I was thrilled to learn that a regular poster on LTHforum, whose blog I had become fond of, was opening up a burger joint in downtown Evanston. He wrote about the trials and tribulations of starting up a restaurant in his blog. You could feel his passion and hard work getting poured into making this a success. Two years later, I think it's pretty safe to say that Edzo's is thriving. Edzo's was voted by the Chicago Reader as 2010's best burger, and frequently included in area polls for best burger.

I know that if I was still in school, I would be making visits at least on a weekly basis. Now that we live so far into the city, I am not able to make it up to Evanston as frequently as I would like. I'm always looking for an excuse to hit up the North Shore just to hit Edzo's, so I scheduled an appointment to end just in time for lunch.

I've heard wonderful things about the patty melt, but I just can't tear myself away from the simple beefy goodness of the 4oz griddled burger. Each day, the meat is hand ground, which really allows the flavor to come through, and the fries are hand cut. I love that level of dedication when things are made with care from scratch daily. 

You can't go wrong with any of the french fry combinations - plain, truffle salt & parmesan and Taylor Street (Italian beef gravy and giardiniera) are all so good. I highly recommend ordering a shake of the day. Today, Edzo had three flavors: Mexican Chocolate (which I've had), Salted Caramel, and Michigan Strawberries with balsamic. I'm a sucker for salted caramel, but given that we're entering into strawberry season, I couldn't pass on it today.

Get to Edzo's! It's my favorite burger for less than $10. If you're coming in from the city, take the Metra up for a much shorter route compared to the El.

1571 Sherman Avenue
Evanston, IL 60201-4493
(847) 864-3396
Tues-Sun 10:30am-4pm

1 comment:

  1. Where was this place when we were going to school? =) Knew I shouldn't have left Chicago.

    ReplyDelete