Thursday, June 23, 2011

Chicken taquitos

Remember that Costco rotisserie chicken that I used to make Mexican Lasagna? I still had some leftover chicken and picked out another Mexican recipe - taquitos. I haven't had these in over 10 years. I came across the recipe on Annie's Eats, and everything she makes is so approachable and enticing. 


I was amazed at how crispy these were after baking them. I used corn tortillas instead of flour tortillas suggested in the recipe. I keep tortillas in the fridge until I am ready to use them. I noticed that the first few came out beautifully, like those pictured below. As I made my way through the rest of the package, the corn tortillas started falling a part a bit. I would recommend taking out a couple of tortillas from the fridge as you warm them on the stove rather than taking out the whole package. 


I added a can of diced green chiles for added flavor and heat. The end result had a slight kick to them, and you can certainly adjust the heat level to your liking. I had leftover filling which I used on top of tortilla chips. I liked having salsa with the taquitos and sour cream with the tortilla chips. I can't really explain why, but it just worked for me even though they are very similar! Next time, I will probably add a little more shredded Monterrey pepper jack cheese and perhaps some fire roasted corn to the filling. 

No comments:

Post a Comment