Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Aaron's Birthday!


We celebrated Aaron's birthday all weekend long, especially since it was his first birthday as my husband! I love birthdays because it gives me an excuse to make a special, elaborate cake. I let him choose any cake from five of my cookbooks. I was thrilled with his cake selection because it was going to be another Baked birthday cake! Last year, I made the Sweet & Salty Cake and it was probably my favorite cake of all time. This year, he chose the Chocolate Coffee Cake with Dark Chocolate Ganache. The cake was moist and chocolatey, the frosting was light and fluffy with an intense coffee flavor. The dark chocolate ganache was the perfect finishing touch. Like the photo in Baked Explorations, I decorated the cake with chocolate covered espresso beans.


Luckily, I was in Evanston over the weekend, which allowed me to stop by the Spice House to get the required coffee extract for the frosting. If I didn't have access to coffee extract, I would've taken a tip from The Perfect Scoop and steeped about 1 1/2 cup whole coffee beans in the warmed whole milk and heavy cream used in the frosting. I would steep for at least an hour before removing the beans and proceeding with the recipe. 

The original recipe called for 6 sticks of butter, and I just couldn't do it. I made 2/3 of the frosting recipe and 1/2 of the ganache, so that I was now down to 4.5 sticks of butter. I don't think the cake suffered one bit! Feel free to contact me if you'd like my calculations. The recipe is three pages long in the cookbook and already posted elsewhere online.

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I love the ganache. I love Baked as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found the coffee extract at Whole Foods as well, but I love the Spice House too! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so simple and gorgeous, Christina. You need to start a mail-order business. Happy birthday to A!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG, Christina - your cakes are always so beautiful! Thanks for posting, my season of cake is coming up soon, always looking for ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all for visiting my little blog! :)

    ReplyDelete