Friday, May 20, 2011

Portobello burger and shaved asparagus salad

Even though we are a small household, we still decided to join Costco a couple of years ago. We find that the savings pay for the annual membership in the form of rebate checks. Like Trader Joe's, I like that Costco stands behind their product offerings. They carry a lot of favorite items in bulk for very reasonable prices and also carry some specialty items that aren't sold at regular stores. My husband, lover of focaccia, came across these "flat rolls" recently. This is our third bag in a month! Focaccia can sometimes be overly dense, thick and obviously high in calories. However, with the recent trend in sandwich thins, bagel thins, etc, I was really happy to see focaccia thins. At only 130 calories, 1.5 g fat, 25 g carbs, and 2 g fiber, I can enjoy these with less guilt. We've made mini pizzas, sandwiches, and breakfast with these.

With the portobello mushrooms in our recent CSA, I knew that a portobello burger was in order. I marinaded the portobello for 20 minutes before grilling them. For condiments, I used ramp pesto, roasted red peppers, spring mix and sliced provolone. To make it a complete CSA sourced vegetarian dinner, I made shaved asparagus salad on the side. I kept the salad simple so we could enjoy the fresh asparagus. I dressed it with the juice of 1/2 lemon, freshly grated pecorino, kosher salt, and fresh ground pepper.


Portobello burger marinade for 2
Adapted from Allrecipes.com
  •  
  • 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 tsp fresh basil
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1 fat garlic clove, minced or pressed
  • salt and pepper to taste
  •  
Mix ingredients well, pour over portobellos. Marinate for 15 min, flipping once at the midpoint. Baste the portobellos with any remaining marinade as you grill.

No comments:

Post a Comment