Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Green Grocer CSA Week #3

Hooray! Our CSA finally included some locally grown items this week: portobello mushrooms and asparagus from River Valley Ranch. If you've visited any of the Chicagoland farmers markets or gourmet specialty stores, I'm sure you have come across some of River Valley Kitchen's products. I especially like their Spinach Artichoke Dip Mix and 5-Cheese Garlic Spread.

Pictured below are 4 peaches, 5 bananas, 3 portabello mushrooms, asparagus, and an eggplant.

We turned down a bunch of fresh oregano for 2 additional peaches because the refrigerator door is overflowing with dill, parsley and cilantro. (Tip: Treat your fresh herbs like fresh flowers by trimming their ends regularly and keeping them in a little water. They will stay vibrantly green for weeks!) 

I am expecting a basil plant from my dad later this weekend. I'm looking to add to my herb planter when I visit the Daley Plaza Farmers Market during lunch on Thursday. Any suggestions for other herbs that are easy to grow? I have a black thumb. 

1 comment:

  1. Rosemary, tarragon and chives/scallion! They all grow like weeds.

    ReplyDelete