Monday, May 16, 2011

Caramelized onion and kale pie with potato crust

After making lemony kale pasta, we still had 1/2 of the bunch leftover. With the Yukon Gold potatoes from our CSA, I remembered coming across a recipe for a Potato, Spinach and Goat Cheese Pie on the Local Beet. I loved the idea of a potato crust in lieu of a pie crust.

Instead of frozen spinach, I sauteed the fresh chopped kale until wilted. Otherwise, I followed the recipe to a T. We were amazed at how much flavor the caramelized onions provided. This is a really nice, healthier alternative to a traditional quiche - less eggs, less cream, less buttery crust. Making the crust is a little work, but well worthwhile.


1 comment:

  1. This sounds delectable. I've never attempted the potato crust... sounds like I have a project for later this week. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete